Friday, February 15, 2008

A really nasty question that no one wants to touch

Will the nomination of Obama drive Latino voters to McCain and maybe even permanently to the Republican party? I am not trying to fear monger or play some race card on why Democrats shouldn't vote for Obama. I think it is a legitimate question considering the less talked about race issues between black and brown voters. Living in Los Angeles gives me a unique perspective on the relationship between the two and I think this is a valid question. I don't think the question is relevant in regards to the current nomination process, but I do think it is something people will need to think about come November and maybe further into the future.

Please understand that I am not trying to single out Latinos as racist. You can find racists in every culture. I think the question needs to be answered because the Latino voting block is exploding and will have a massive affect on politics in the future, which it rightly should.

If this is true, the Democratic party is going to have to find a way to pull these voters back. Karl Rove found a way to get them in 2000 and 2004. If Obama is nominated, I think Democrats will have to do the same. If this question is ignored, Democrats could have problems in years to come.

No comments: